SVA The Project Class
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SVA The Project Class

Instructor: Bob Giraldi

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

some questions so far...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
JD Gargano

some questions so far... Empty
PostSubject: some questions so far...   some questions so far... EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 1:58 pm

What's this "Project Class" class all about anyways?
Wait, how did you get in this class? The "Project Class" is a class that SVA offers to students who have very little to zero experience in making a film. Taught by film and commercial director, Bob Giraldi, student get a taste of what it's like to make a film from scratch to screen. Over the course of the school year, students will write their own screenplay, cast for actors, scout for locations, assemble a crew, direct their film then edit it all before the screening in May. Sounds like a lot? It is! Sounds like an opportunity of a lifetime? You bet!

But I've never written a screenplay before. How do I know if it sucks?
You are all creative people. Even if you never written a story before, haven't you ever TOLD a story before? While your first draft might not seem like the greatest story ever told, Bob is here to help make sure he pulls the story out of you in the best way possible so that when you're ready to finally shoot, you'll have no doubts that you're story is the best.

You know that I have 5 other classes, 2 other jobs, I'm in a band, I babysit my little sister, I have swimming lessons on Saturdays AND call Bingo for senior citizens on Sundays, right? How am I going to get this all done?
Wow, you sound busy. Maybe you should just quit now. But realize something, you will be busy until the day you die. That's nothing new. This class has been going on for several years now and everyone was in the same boat as you and they all managed to get it done. How? They WANTED to. You have to be serious about this. It truly is an opportunity of a lifetime and if you don't want to commit to it, then you need to rethink what you're doing. If you stick it out, you'll have an amazing film for your reel, MAYBE even submit it to film festivals and even win something, maybe you'll even change your mind and look into directing or other film related jobs. Bottom line, we know you're busy. It's why you are here. Ever hear the saying, "If you want to get something done, give it to a busy person."?

Will this class cost me anything? I know I said I work 2 jobs but the money I make is for my bills/food for the week/Xbox habit.
Yes. But how much you spend is up to you. You get what out of this what you put into this. The one thing you can count on making sure you have is food. A fed actor and crew is a happy actor and crew...and director. This is a student film and when you cast your roles, they'll know there is no budget. In exchange, you provide them meals and a reel and if they really like your script, they'll do it. People in the past have had family members bake and cook and pitch in by buying pizzas. Ask nicely and you may even get friends to help you carry stuff too. Gas, extra equipment (if necessary) and other misc. expenses do come up so be prepared.

Speaking of casting, can I cast my dad/sister/neighbor's niece/potential boyfriend/cat in my film?
Is it possible? Yes. They have to go through the same process as everyone else. You have to have them audition and Bob has to approve. He has executive decision on whether or not they can have the role.

But they can act better than that guy on True Blood! Can't I just give them the part?
Oh yea? Then why aren't THEY on the show? Bob still needs to see them and he STILL has final approval.

But they ARE on the show and they won 2 Oscars. Can I now?
Bring in the Oscar so I can take a picture with it, then we'll talk.

Ok, so, I have this great idea for a story but it can't be told in 7-10 minutes. Can I make it longer?
Good question. Everyone will most likely have a film that in their first edit is longer than 7-10 minutes. But after working with Bob, you'll be amazed how you can tell that 15 minute story you have in 8 minutes.

8 minutes?? How's that possible? That's cutting almost half the movie!
Three words: Francis Ford Coppola. Coppola shot Apocalypse Now on 1.5 MILLION feet of film. The end running time for the theatrical version was 153 minutes long. It was later rereleased and ran over 3 1/2 hours. So it IS possible. You'll see.

But Marsha's film was 11 minutes!! Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!!
Ok, Jan. That's up to Bob. If he feels like your story NEEDS to be a minute or 2 longer cause it's imperative to the plot, then he just may allow it. He also likes coffee so if you wanna, ya know, pass him a cup or 2 every so often...hey, I'm just saying...
Back to top Go down

some questions so far...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SVA The Project Class :: Q&A :: F.A.Q.-
Jump to: